Tuesday 25 October 2011

Put a Spring in your step Salad


So Im a big fan of Spring. In fact I’m a sucker of every season.
 I love that warm breeze in Spring pushing around all the leaves.  Walking in to town in a summer dress and finally getting to bring my favourite cardi out of the cupboard.
One of my favourite traditions is taking all my boots to the shoe repairman and getting him to check them over, repair them and wax them up for a blustery winter. That’s not to mention buying a new scarf, or sitting in the library as rain pushes down the payne.

Taking that first walk in cool sunshine and taking your jumper off anyway, you’re cold but you don’t mind so much because winter was such a long one! And seeing the heads of blossoms and bulbs start to burst with Spring.

But Summer ahhhh summer. I just adore it. I love feeling so hot that that I want to transport out of my body, envelope myself in water and sit open mouth in front of an air conditioner. I love the relief of a gin on a sweltering afternoon, or a glass of champagne when it’s hot enough to sit outside at midnight.
But the thing I love the most about the seasons is the food… Everytime the season changes it brings with it a new collection of vegetables, fruit and meat to adore. Spring lamb anyone? A pineapple? Vegetable soup? Sunday night roast? Food=Seasons. Enough said.
So this is my favourite spring salad recipe. That’s right I’m sharing again. God knows why... I think it’s because I just ate it for dinner and now I want more, and I’d like you to make it for me.
So first you are going to need some beetroot. I love home roasted baby beets- but tonight I couldn’t for the life of me be bothered so I went with the good old tinned stuff. Get the whole baby ones and cut them into quarters. Put them in your favourite bowl. Admire them, what royal food they are.
Next you’ll need a fat old brown onion, a little butter and a big glug of olive oil in a medium to hot pan, chop the onion into strips and let it cook along slowly. You want it to caramelise, cook right down til brown and sticky. You do this by not adding the onions til the butter and oil is hot, throw in a pinch of salt and pepper. You shouldn’t need sugar- some people use it but I think there is generally enough sugar in the onion itself. Turn the heat to medium and stir them as the cook down. At this point you’ll need to have chopped up two cups of pumpkin.
The pumpkin needs to be about a few centimetres long, but not more than a centimetre thick.  Good fork-ing size.  Throw the pumpkin in with the onion and let them hang out together. Keep an eye on them and give them a stir now and then, but they should go soft without too much effort.
From here on its pretty simple (it’s been so complicated so far right…) on top of the beets throw a couple handfuls of rocket. If you don’t like this peppery little beast, you can always choose a lettuce you like- minuet lettuce is a favourite of mine.  Then pluck a few basil leaves, I use a bout a handful all torn up- did you know you should always tear basil and not cut it? The way a knife cuts causes it to respond differently and changes the flavour, now we couldn’t have that.
Now add some olive oil and some candied balsamic vinegar if you have it- otherwise a splash of champagne or regular balsamic will do just fine. It is time to take the pumpkin and onions off the heat. If you have time chill them down, otherwise just throw them in- I’ve never been shy of a hot/cold salad. Add a few handfuls of walnuts… or pecans if you don’t like the tart taste.
Now here is the kicker. Crumble some goat’s cheese across the top.
I don’t know why we don’t eat more goats’ cheese. It’s delicious tart, sour and creamy. It’s a bit pricey if you don’t have a good local producer (we are a bit spoilt here in hippy loving Adelaide). If you haven’t bought it before give it a go, it’s better for you and easier on your stomach. Often people who are lactose intolerant can have goat’s milk products (including myself). Now give that old salad a toss!
I hope you like it, it’s so full of spring I adore it.

1 comment:

  1. I would love this with my favourite aussie girl, some greys anatomy and some haighs chocs for after xx

    ReplyDelete